The 2022-23 NCAA Basketball season is off to an exciting start as several teams look like they can make noise come March. With the sport at the midway point of the season, I give my thoughts on the top teams in DI via our NCAA Basketball power rankings.
NCAA Basketball Power Rankings: Top 10
- Houston Cougars 16-1: The Cougars own the nation’s No. 1 defense, allowing 51.5 points a game, and have outscored their opponents by an incredible 24.1 points a contest. Twelve of their wins are by double-digits.
- Kansas Jayhawks 14-1: The Jayhawks, who have won eight straight, rank No. 1 in RPI and No. 4 NET. KU already has six quality wins. Junior Jalen Wilson continues to improve every year, leading the Big 12 in scoring and rebounding in 2022-23.
- Purdue Boilermakers 15-1: The Boilermakers are off to their best start through 16 games in program history. Zach Edey, one of the leading players for national POY, has produced eight straight double-doubles and 13 overall. He is the second fastest Boilermaker to reach 1000 points, 600 rebounds, and 100 blocks for his career, needing just 80 games.
- Tennessee Volunteers 13-2: The Volunteers have been excellent on the defensive end, ranking No. 1 in the country in defensive ranking, first in 3-point defense and field goal defense, and second in points per game (52.5). The Vols have 10 wins by double-digits, including a 64-50 victory over Kansas to win the battle of Atlantis. Five players have played in all 15 games, with just three starting every contest.
- UCLA Bruins 14-2: The Bruins have the longest current win streak among major DI programs and the fourth longest in the country. The Bruins are 3-2 in quad 1 contests, with both losses coming on a neutral floor.
- Kansas State Wildcats 14-1: The Wildcats are off to their best start in 60 years. The 14 wins matches their total last year. KSU is one of the best shooting teams in Division I, ranking 47th in true shooting percentage and 58th in effective field goal percentage.
- Connecticut Huskies (15-2): UConn is among four teams ranked in the top 15 in the nation in both offensive and defensive rankings. The Huskies’ defense leads the nation in 3-pointers allowed(3.9) and attempts (14.3) per contest.
- Texas Longhorns 13-2: The Longhorns haven’t missed a beat since Chris Beard’s domestic fiasco that cost him his job. The Horns have won six of seven under Rodney Terry. Senior guard Marcus Carr is a major reason Texas hasn’t experienced any dropoff. He has upped his production under Terry, scoring 20 or more points three times, including tying a career-high with 41 points against TAMCC, allowing the longhorns to soar up the NCAA basketball power rankings.
- Iowa State Cyclones 12-2: The Cyclones have won five straight and are 3-0 in one-score games. ISU is undefeated through the first three games in Big 12 play for the first time in over two decades. Starting forward Aljaz Kunc has missed the last three games and is out indefinitely with a finger injury.
- TCU Horned Frogs 13-2: TCU is 2-2 in one-possession games. The Horned Frogs are one of the best in DI at forcing turnovers and getting out on the break. They lead the nation in fastbreak points, tallying nearly 22 points a game, accounting for over a quarter of their total points.
Read more on how NIL is impacting college hoops and the NCAA basketball power rankings.
- Arizona Wildcats 14-2
- Gonzaga Bulldogs 14-3
- Alabama Crimson Tide 13-2
- Xavier Muskateers 13-3
- Miami Hurricanes 13-2
- Wisconsin Badgers 11-3
- Providence Friars 14-3
- Virginia Cavaliers 13-3
- Duke Blue Devils 12-4
- Marquette Golden Eagles 13-4
- Charleston Cougars 16-1
- Missouri Tigers 13-2
- Arkansas Razorbacks 12-3
- Auburn Tigers 12-3
- Clemson Tigers 13-3
- Florida Atlantic Owls 14-1
- San Diego State Aztecs 12-3
- Saint Mary’s Gaels 14-4
- UCF Knights 12-4
- LSU Tigers 12-3
- Pittsburgh Panthers 11-5
- North Carolina State 13-4
- Mississippi State 12-3
- Northwestern Wildcats
- UNC Tar Heels 11-5
- Wake Forest Demon Deacons 11-5
- Kent State Golden Flashes 12-3
- New Mexico Lobos 15-2
- Nevada Wolf Pack 14-3
- Michigan State Spartans 11-4
Join our Discord to leave a question or comment regarding this article. We have sports fans talking betting all day — every day! JOIN THE DISCORD NOW AND QUALIFY FOR PRIZES & BETTING SWAG!