Smarty Jones 2023 is the first major race of the 2023 calendar and also a Kentucky Derby points race. This $250,000 is just one of four that will be held at Oaklawn Park in Hot Springs, Arkansas.
It is a one mile race with eight entries that celebrate racetrack birthdays as three year olds. As an official Derby prep race, points are available to the top five eligible finishers (10-4-3-2-1).
The race is the 8th of 9 at the track and has a post time of 5:10 p.m. ET.
Smarty Jones 2023 Entries
- C. J. Storm– This horse took four attempts to break his maiden and finally did in a mile at Horseshoe Indianapolis. In his first race in an open, he finished eighth of none at Oaklawn. This is an Indiana bread horse and trained by John Haran. Odds to win Smarty Jones 2023 are 20-1.
- How Did He Do That– is the son of Good Magic and a Steve Ausmussen trained horse. In his third start he was a winner in a maiden claimer. was sixth in the Clever Trevor at Remington Park, This will be his first attempt at a two turn race and comes in at 15-1 odds in the Smarty Jones 2023.
- Communication Memo– is the son of Bolt d’Oro and another Ausmussen trained entry.He broke his maiden by four lengths after adding Lasix going a mile at Oaklawn. Also was second in a good field of ten at Churchill Downs. This horse will want to grab the early lead and set the pace. Also odds are 7-2 to finished first.
- Western Ghent is the son of American Pharoah and is trained by Hall of Famer D. Wayne Lukas. This is likely the most experienced horse in the Smarty Jones 2023. His only win, however, was in his fourth try in a maiden claiming affair at Saratoga. He was entered in three graded stakes and was not even close in them. He is 20-1 odds to win.
- Ten Days Later– The son of Collected and trained by Ken McPeek, this horse has five career starts at four different tracks in Kentucky. His only win was in a field of twelve then he finished third in an allowance at Churchill Downs behind a Derby prep horse. this one has a chance to win the Smarty Jones 2023. Odds are set at 9-2.
- Denington is another Ken Mc Peek horse and like the other entry, prefers to run off the pace. This son of Gun Runner has gained stakes experience with a fifth in the Kentucky Jockey Club (G2) and has one qualifying point. The odds are 5-1 and the top choice at the Smarty Jones 2023.
- Angel of Empire– This entry is the son of Classic Empire and trained by Brad Cox. He broke his maiden in his first attempt in August at Horseshoe Indianapolis on a sloppy track. Then tried a sprint at Kentucky Downs with no luck and then back to Indiana and won an allowance race by six lengths. Odds to win are 6-1. Both wins were with Lasix.
- Victory Formation- The son of Tapwrit is trained by Brad Cox and will be ridden by Flavien Prat. This horse has two wins in two starts. The first was last October in Keeneland by five lengths with the second one being six furlongs race at Churchill Downs to win by a neck. This horse is 8-5 odds to capture the Smarty Jones 2023.
Smarty Jones 2023 Pick
Everyone is climbing on the Victory Formation wagon for this one bu here are a few capable of garnering the upset win.
Here at KnupSports, will put some money on Denington to win followed by the favorite Victory Formation with third place being hard to predict. So I won’t.
Join our Discord to leave a question or comment regarding this article. We have sports fans talking betting all day — every day! JOIN THE DISCORD NOW AND QUALIFY FOR PRIZES & BETTING SWAG!