Travers Day at Saratoga Race Course: August 24, 2019
This race was first run in 1864 at Saratoga Race Course in Saratoga Springs, New York and was won by a horse owned by William R. Travers. Hence the name. It has the nickname of “Mid-Summer Derby and is considered the thrid most important American horse race for three-year-olds behind the Kentucky Derby and the Belmont Stakes. It is an American Grade 1 Thoroughbred race.
The prixe money for this race has reached up to and possibly over $1.25m and is ran as a left handed race for 1 1/4 mile. Last year this race was won by Catholic Boy and was ridden by six time winning jockey Javier Castellanos.
2019 Travers Stakes Betting Odds
1. Owendale, 6-1 (Into Mischief – Brad Cox/Florent Geroux)
There are better horses to be on in this event.
2. Code of Honor, 4-1 (Noble Mission – Shug McGaughey/John Velazquez):
A horse to contend with the Kentucky Derby background. The distance might be the real drawback.
3. Highest Honors, 10-1 (Tapit – Chad Brown/Luis Saez)
He did well at the Curlin but got a poor draw. One to consider to get in the money.
4. Laughing Fox, 30-1 (Union Rags – Steve Asmussen/Ricardo Santana Jr.)
Longshot that fills the field.
5. Everfast, 30-1 (Take Charge Indy – Dale Romans/Martin Chuan )
6. Tacitus, 5-2 (Tapit – William Mott/Jose Ortiz)
Not a value bet anymore but is a top contender to win.
7. Mucho Gusto, 6-1 (Mucho Macho Man – Bob Baffert/Joe Talamo)
Definite contender and good value bet with great pedigree.
8. Chess Chief, 30-1 (Into Mischief – Dallas Stewart/Mike Smith)
At these odds, this horse has a chance to make the bettor some money. May not win but will look to show.
9. Looking At Bikinis, 10-1 (Lookin at Lucky – Chad Brown/Javier Castellano)
The distance rules this one out.
10. Scars Are Cool, 30-1 (Malibu Moon – Stanley Hough/Tyler Gaffalione)
Not experienced ebough to be near the winners circle.
11. Endorsed, 15-1 (Medaglia D’Oro – Kiaran McLaughlin/Joel Rosario)
Not surprise and is a decent horse but just finishes out of the money.
12. Tax, 6-1 (Arch – Danny Gargan/Irad Ortiz)
OUR PICK TO WIN- He is quick and will want to lead as much as possible. He won the Jim Dandy Stakes and was 4th in the Belmont Stakes.
Projected Finish: (Box these)
Tax, Tacitus, Mucho Gusto, Code of Honor
There are four traditions that take place every year for the Travers Stakes winner and they include:
The Travers Trophy is known as the Man O’War Cup.
The winner of the Travers Stakes will receive an extravagant floral blanket, a beautiful blanket of flowers to drape over the horse, hand-made locally with over a thousand carnations.
The Travers Canoe
The Travers Canoe has been a lovely tribute to the winners of the Travers, every year since 1961. Every year, the canoe is painted in the colors of the silks of reigning Travers winner.
The city of Saratoga Springs NY celebrates the entire week leading up to Travers Day with various events.