The TVG Pacific Classic is scheduled for Saturday, August 18 as a Grade 1 race and has a $1 million purse attached to it. Many thought the favorite would turn out to be Unique Bella but they failed to enter the horse into this race. Instead, we find Pavel and Accelerate attempting to match strides as they have done several times. Let’s look at the horses and make a pick.
- The Lieutenant is the son of Street Sense and has 6-1 odds to win. He is a half-brother to Triple Crown winner Justify. In this horses last four races, he has finished in the money each time. He won the Golden Gate mile and was second to Diversify at Belmont. He will be a tough one to keep out of the money.
- Dr. Dorr is a Bob Baffert trained horse and prefers shorter distances. The son of Lookin At Lucky was ninth in the Suburban race but led most of the race in which Accelerate whizzed by. If the pace starts slow, look for this horse to show. He is at 6-1 odds to win.
- At 8-1 odds, Prime Attraction has shown success at lower levels but now must step it up a bit in a Grade 1 race. This son of Unbridled’s Song likes to pace early but will likely fade.
- Trainer Bob Baffert also has Roman Rosso in this race at 5-1 odds. In South America, this horse has won five of his last six starts. He has won a 12-furlong race and was in the lead from wire to wire. This may be the surprise pick.
- As the favorite at 8-5 odds, Accelerate has already won two Grade 1 races at 1 1/4 mile and has a good record at Del Mar racetrack. Jockey Joel Rosario will ride Accelerate as Victor Espinoza is the usual jockey but is still mending from an accident. Look for this horse, also sired by Lookin At Lucky, to stalk the pace and run away from the field.
- Beach View is at 15-1 odds to win and comes in with some intrigue. He won his first career start at this track and may struggle a bit with the length of the race. In his last race, he won a Grade 3 to defeat Hoppertunity at the Cougar II Handicap.
- Pavel is a bit inconsistent due to losing six times at Grade 1 before winning the Stephen Foster. The issue with this horse appears to be the lack of competition that he is paired with and that is why he is 7-2 odds to win.
- Two Thirty-Five is the real longshot at 20-1 odds. He has not won much in his career and only a fourth at the Grade 2 San Diego Handicap. There is very little chance this horse finishes in the money.
We have three horses we suggest for you to place where ever you feel is appropriate. However, we will take these three horses:
- Accelerate 8-5 odds
- Roman Rosso 5-1 odds
- Dr. Dorr 8-1 odds
TVG Pacific Classic Facts:
- This is a “Win It and You’re In It” race as part of the Breeders’ Cup Challenge Series that assures the winner of an expense-paid entry to the $6 million Breeders’ Cup Classic that will be on November 3, 2018, at Churchill Downs.
- Last year there was just under $25 million bet on this race.
- This race was first to run in 1991 making this the 28th year of running.