Horse racing betting and predictions are not for everyone. But here at Knup Sports, we pride ourselves on offering a diverse set of sports. So today, Tom looks at the Whitney Stakes. The Grade 1 Whitney Stakes takes place on Saturday, August 4 at Saratoga Raceway with eight horses vying for the $1.2 million purse.
Let’s look at each horse in this event:
- Tapwrit comes into this race with 6/1 odds to win. Trainer Todd Pletcher has acknowledged that this horse can be inconsistent as shown by the previous Belmont Stakes. This horse has the number one post and will not show much kick out of the gate, Look for this horse to finish just out of the money.
- Backyard Heaven is 9/2 odds to win and is the sire of Tizway. It was the Kentucky Oaks that got this horse some notice. Trainer Chad Brown entered this horse in the Grade 1 Stephen Foster but didn’t do well in the heat. This horse has lots of promise to surprise.
- Dalmore is a longshot at 30/1 odds. This 5-year-old has had some success in the past but not recently. There is too much talent in this race to be competitive.
- Mind Your Biscuits is a favorite at 2/1 odds to win. He won the Dubai Golden Shaheen in March which was a Grade 1 race He has what it takes to lead the ace from start to finish. This race is about the right distance for this Chad Summers horse.
- Discreet Lover is another 30/1 longshot and lost to Diversify by 8.5 lengths in the Suburban. He likes to close fast but just not good enough early. This horse was sired by Repent.
- Diversify is 7/5 odds to win and the favorite. In the Suburban, this horse ran 10 furlongs under 2 minutes. He likes to set the pace but this time will get a good run from other horses early in the race.
- Good Samaritan is a modest 12/1 odds to win. In the previous 15 months, this horse has run in 10 races. It doesn’t matter what surface this Bill Mott horse is on, it will bring the heat at the finish.
- McCracken is the son of Ghostzapper and is 15/1 odds to win. In his last nine starts, he has only won twice after winning his first four races. The competition is too great in this race to get in the money.
My Whitney Stakes Picks
- Mind Your Biscuits
- Backyard Heaven
You can bet on this event in at your favorite local Racebook.
Some History of the Whitney Stakes-
It is a Grade 1 stakes race for Thoroughbred racehorses three years of age and older run at a distance of 1 1⁄8 miles.
Held annually in late July/early August at the Saratoga Race Course in Saratoga Springs, New York, the race is named for the Whitney family, whose members were and remain prominent participants and supporters of the sport of Thoroughbred horse racing.
Some of the greatest horses in American racing history have won the Whitney, including Easy Goer, Tom Fool, Dr. Fager, Stymie, Invasor, Slew o’ Gold, Alydar, Ancient Title, Key to the Mint, Devil Diver, Eight Thirty, War Admiral, Discovery, Equipoise and Kelso, who won it for the third time in 1965 at the age of eight. The race also saw one of the most dramatic upsets in racing history when Secretariat finished second in the 1973 Whitney to Allen Jerkens’s colt, Onion. Six fillies have won the race: Black Maria (1928), Bateau (1929), Esposa (1937), Gallorette (1948), Lady’s Secret (1986), and Personal Ensign (1988).