MLS Power Rankings it’s still early in the season but we can still put them together but will change dramatically on the nest 5-10 weeks.
Note: This was published BEFORE any game were played on May 1, 2021.
MLS Power Rankings #1-9
#1.LA Galaxy– Put together new head coach Greg Vanney and the Mexican star Javier Hernandez and you have a top team. Hernandez is known as “Chicharito” and on Sunday against the New York Red Bulls he scored three goals. This team deserves top spot in our first MLS Power Ranking. Their next game is May 2nd against Seattle at 9 pM ET.
2. Columbus Crew- this team didn’t play last weekend as they prepare for the CONCACAF Champion League contest against Monterrey. To win they need to hope midfielder Darlington Nagbe has recovered from his hamstring injury. Next match is May 1 at CF Montreal and start time is 3 p.m. ET.
3. Seattle Sounders- they came away with a draw in a 1- contest against LAFC. Their hope to move up on the poll is May 2nd as they take on the top ranked LA Galaxy at 9p,mm ET.
4. Sporting Kansas City– This might be too high but the stellar play of 18 year old Gianluca Busio has everyone buzzing. He opened the lead for KC in their recent contest against Orlando City which ended in a draw. Their next match is May 1st at Real Salt Lake at 2 p.m ET.
- learn how to win at betting soccer
5 . LAFC It only took 84 seconds to score against the Sounders with a free kick by Atuesta . The contest finished as a draw even with Carlos Vela and Diego Rossi missing from the game when playing Seattle, The next game for this squad in May 1st at 3:30 p.m ET at Houston Dynamo.
6. Orlando City– They outplayed Sporting Kansas City but only came away with a draw thanks to the boot of Nani. This team need to core more and gets some injured players back and they will win games instead of having a draw. Next match is May 1st taking on FC Cincinnati at 7:30 p,m. ET.
7.CF Montreal- Mason Toye got off to a solid beginning with his second goal in two matches but management can’t be happy about losing a two goal lead to Nashville. Their next MLS match is schedule for Saturday, May 1 vs. Columbus, 3 p.m. ET.
8. Atlanta United FC- The scoring for Atlanta has seemed to return after some concerns last season. with a 3-1 win over the Chicago Fire. It helps getting a goal from Ezequiel Barco is a good start and now look for the spirits to rise with the soon return of Josef Martinez. Next match i May 1st at New England to face the Revolution at 7 p.m ET.
9. New England Revolution- Things are looking up for the Revs as they squeaked out a 1-0 win over D. C. United. They must keep grinding out wins. Their next MLS match is Saturday, May 1 vs. Atlanta, 7 p.m. ET.
MLS Power Rankings #10-18
10. New York City FC – After losing the opener to DC United, they went on a tear and smashed Cincinnati with five goals. NYFC next match is Saturday, May 1 at Philadelphia, 7:30 p.m. ET.
11. Real Salt Lake- Anderson Julio had a memorable debut for the team . But it is the punt of the ball by goalkeeper David Ochoa of the ball into the stands as they defeated Minnesota 2-1. Next match is May 1st against Sporting Kansas City at 2 p.m. ET.
12. San Jose Earthquakes
San Jose 17-year old phenom Cade Cowell was the talk of the match as has assisted a goal for Cristian Espinoza and scored between three defenders for his own scoring goal in a 3-1 win over FC Dallas. their next match will be held on Saturday, May 1 vs. D.C. United at 11 p.m.
13 Vancouver Whitecaps– This squad gave up a goal at the 82 minute mark to obtain a draw against Toronto. they need to learn how to handle the lead. The goals came from Andy Rose and Cristian Dajome. Their next MLS match is Sunday, May 2 vs. Colorado in Salt Lake City, 10 p.m. ET.
14. Portland Timbers– After losing in week 1 to Vancouver the Timbers came back with a -21 victory over the Houston Dynamos. They take on FC Dallas on May 1st at 8 p.m. ET in their next MLS action.
15. Houston Dynamo– The team didn’t pick up any points against Portland as they lost 2-1. Things don’t improve as the take on LAFC on May 1st at 3:30 p,m. ET
16. Philadelphia Union– not a very good start for the Union as they lost their home opener to Miami and then suffered a draw with Columbus. Their next MLS match is Saturday, May 1st against NYCFC for 7:30 p. m. ET.
17. Austin FC- Things are llo up for the newest expansion team after being held to no goals in the opener and the doors opened for a 3-1 win over Colorado Rapids as Diego Fagundez is not officially the first goal scorer in Austin MLS history. Their next MLS match: is Saturday, May 1 at Minnesota, 8 p.m. ET.
18. DC United not a good day for Brendan Hines-Ike as he scored his own goal which led to a 1-0 loss to New England. This team needs players to return to improve. Their next match is Saturday,May 1, at San Jose at 11 p.m. ET.
MLS Power Rankings #19-27
19. Nashville SC– This team has to do better on the defense as they have has two draws both 2-2 with Montreal and Cincinnati. The next match is with Inter Miami at noon ET.
29. Colorado Rapids– This team is full of hope but haven’t shown anything yet in the early part of the season and they failed to score against FC Dallas and suffered a 3-1 loss to Austin FC. The play next MLS match on Sunday, May 2 vs. Vancouver in Salt Lake City at 10 p.m. ET .
21.Toronto FC– bit by the injury bug, the team should get better . Also signing Yeferson Soteldo is likely to help. Got a 2-2 draw against Vancouver. Next MLS match is Saturday, May 8 at New York Red Bulls, 7 p.m. ET.
22. Inter Miami -Coach Phil Neville got his first win as head man for Miami . Union Gonzalo and Frederico Higuain both scored in the second half to comeback win. Next match is against Nashville at noon on Sunday, May 2nd.
23. New York Red Bulls– Thy had the misfortune of playing a red-hot Chicharito and the LAFC
and lost 3-2. Their next MLS match is Saturday, May 1 vs. Chicago, 1 p.m. ET.
24 Chicago Fire– Scoring their own goal is an embarrassment as they lost 3-1 to Atlanta. The fire’s next MLS match is Saturday, May 1 at New York Red Bulls, 1 p.m. ET.
25. FC Dallas-lost 3-1 to San Jose and the team was a bust. Their next MLS matchis on Saturday, May 1 vs. Portland, 8 p.m. ET.
26. FC Cincinnati– This squad allowed 53 shots total in their to game but were without Acosta and Tyton. NYCFC took them to task 5-0. Next match is Saturday, May 1st in Orlando at 7:40 p.m. ET.
27. Minnesota United– holding up the bottom, Minnesota United has opened a season with consecutive losses for the first time since their inaugural MLS campaign in 2017. They’ve never lost their first three matches in an MLS season. Taking on expansion Austin F on Saturday, May 1st at 7:30 p.m. ET.
MLS Power Rankings from KnupSports will appear twice a month. Those will be in the middle and the end of each month. Please visit us again for the MLS Power Rankings