Similar to the neighboring country of Canada, where physical sportsbooks and casino gambling if fully legal, the state of Michigan has been contemplating the idea of legalizing sports betting for quite a while now. With so many states jumping on the sports betting bandwagon and witnessing the economic growth that it brings, Michigan finds themselves seriously considering lifting the current restrictions that are in place today. By the end of the year, it is a real possibility that Michigan bettors will be able to find fully legal sportsbooks in their home state.
In the article below, we will be going over the status of sports betting in Michigan, where you will be able to place bets, and some of the most popular teams to bet on. We will also look at some of the latest news related to betting in the state and the current regulations on gambling in Michigan casinos. After reading this article, you should have all the information you need to place bets in Michigan successfully as well as legally.
At a Glance
Status of Betting in Michigan
At the moment, sports betting in Michigan is illegal and should you placing bets on sports could land you in hot water! However, steps are being taken, and casino owners are lobbying hard to bring sports betting to the state. It is expected to be legalized by the end of 2019.
Where to Bet in Michigan
While the MGM Grand Detroit aims to become the first to put together a legal sportsbook in Michigan, there are a few prominent casinos that look to throw their hat in the ring as well. The Motor City Casino, as well as the Greektown Casino, are likely candidates for sportsbooks in the state. As sports betting becomes legal, you will most likely see online sportsbooks open up, and you can also expect the Indian Reservation Casinos to get involved as well.
Teams in Michigan
Michigan is home to the Detroit, the motor city, which hosts a variety of professional teams across multiple different sports. Not only does Michigan have professional football, baseball, basketball, and hockey teams but it is also home to the Michigan Wolverines. The Wolverines also compete in a long list of sports with the most popular being college football.
Status of Sports Betting
As stated above, sports betting is currently illegal in the state of Michigan, and no active sportsbooks are operating there. In December of 2018, a bill was passed to the governor, Rick Snyder, who promptly vetoed the bill causing a slight setback in the state’s progress.
After witnessing the economic growth generated in other states as well as neighboring Canada, Michigan is likely to follow the trend of legalization as it could bring millions of dollars into the state’s economy. As a strict advocate for the reform of Michigan’s education system, governor Gretchen Whitmer may find great potential for aiming some extra tax dollars towards schools and other public education projects.
The state of Michigan has a great list of casinos where some potential sportsbook may fall including the MGM Grand Casino, Greektown Casino, and the Motor City Casino. In March, the Lawful Internet Gaming bill was introduced and addressed everything from online gambling to brick-and-mortar physical casinos. This bill aims to open up more options for not only casino gambling, but online sportsbooks that will be available for Michigan residents. With an expected announcement of legalization coming by the end of 2019, football bettors are hoping to get this thing finalized by the start of football season!
Where to Bet Sports
While there is an abundance of options for the residents of Michigan to gamble in the state, the home of the first sportsbook will likely fall between the three biggest casinos. The MGM Grand Detroit, who will likely have the first, as well as the Motor City Casino and Greektown Casino. Michigan is also home to a large number of Indian Reservation casinos that could potentially apply for licenses, and online sportsbooks could be a great option for bettors as well.
- MGM Grand Detroit – An extension of the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, the MGM Grand Detroit is a massive casino and luxury hotel. The casino has over 121 different table games as well as more the 3,500 slots to choose from. They also include a multi-table poker room if that is your game. The casino also is home to a long list of restaurants and entertainment options that will please anyone’s appetite.
- Motor City Casino – Located just northeast of the city center, the Motor City Casino houses a huge variety of table games, slots, and video poker. Also located on the premises, you will find everything from high-end restaurants to small pizza shops. The hotel includes complimentary Wi-Fi access as well as 300-thread-count linens.
- Greektown Casino – When it comes to the Greektown Casino and Hotel, location is everything. Located in the Greektown neighborhood of Detroit, the hotel features spectacular city views and visuals of Comerica Park, home of the Detroit Tigers. The Casino has over 100,000 feet of space for your favorite slots, and the hotel features a very affordable rate.
- Is Betting Legal in Michigan – At the moment, sports betting in Michigan is illegal and should you placing bets on sports could land you in hot water! However, steps are being taken, and casino owners are lobbying hard to bring sports betting to the state. It is expected to be legalized by the end of 2019.
- Michigan Treasury to Remove Slots and Raise Taxes – After an attempt to remove slot machines from the state of Michigan and almost double the tax rates, it was decided that an increase of taxes would be sufficient for increasing tax revenue. Casinos will be pay taxes in a tiered system based on their earnings.
- Legal Michigan Online Sportsbooks – In March, the Lawful Internet Gaming bill was introduced and addresses everything from online gambling to brick-and-mortar physical casinos. This bill aims to open up more options for not only casino gambling, but online sportsbooks that will be available for Michigan residents. While online gambling/betting remains illegal, it could get wrapped up in the bill to legalize sports betting as a whole.
Sports Teams That Drive Betting
With Michigan being the home of a great sports town in Detroit, bettors will have an excellent variety of sports and teams to place bets on. Detroit hosts a large number of professional teams in Baseball, Basketball, Football, and Hockey. The University of Michigan is home to the Michigan Wolverines who compete in multiple sports including the popular NCAA football team. Michigan also has a long list of minor league squads as well as semi-professional sports teams.
- Detroit Pistons – The Detroit Pistons are a professional NBA Basketball team who compete in the leagues Eastern Conference Central Division. They play their games in the Little Caesars Arena and have a massive fanbase in Michigan. The won titles in 1989, 1990, and 2004.
- Detroit Lions – The Detroit Lions are an excellent football franchise of the NFL and compete in the NFC South division. They play their home games at Ford Field located right in the heart of downtown Detroit. While they have a number of championships, they have yet to win a highly desired Super Bowl trophy.
- Detroit Tigers – The Detroit Tigers are a professional baseball team in Major League baseball that competes in the AL Central division. They play their home games in Comerica Park and have World Series victories in 1935, 1945, 1968, and 1984.
- Detroit Red Wings – The Detroit Red Wings are a professional ice hockey team that competes in the Atlantic Division of the Eastern Conference in the National Hockey League. They play their home games in the Little Ceasar Arena and have won 11 Stanley Cup Championship from 1936 all the way up to 2008.
- Michigan Wolverines – The Wolverines represent the University of Michigan’s sports teams and have teams competing in all of the popular American sports. They have a large number of national titles to their name and are beloved by the people of Michigan.
As you can see, the folks from Michigan have a lot of excellent options when it comes to sports teams for placing bets. With Detroit being home to four professional sports teams, there is no question that it is a big sports town in America.
- Casino Legal Status – Casino gambling, commercial and tribal, are legal in the state of Michigan. There are multiple casinos in the state, such as the MGM Grand Detroit, Greektown Casino, and the Motor City Casino.
- Sports Betting Legal Status – While sports betting isn’t currently legal in Michigan, it will likely be fully legalized by the end of 2019.
- Horse Racing Legal Status – It is legal to bet on horse racing in Michigan whether it is physically at the track or online.
- Poker Legal Status – Poker is legal in Michigan and can be played at a number of casinos in the state. Online poker is a bit of a grey area as the laws aren’t quite as clear.
- DFS Legal Status – While there was a failed attempt to get rid of Daily Fantasy sports in 2015, it remains legal in Michigan and sites like FanDuel and DraftKings are active.
- Lottery Legal Status – The lottery is alive and well in Michigan and gives residents a chance to play with anywhere between a couple of cents to 20 dollars!
Sports Betting Timeline
- 2015 – Representative Kosowski introduces the states first two pieces of legislation on sports betting. This succeeded in getting the conversation started around sports betting.
- 2016 – Rep. Kosowski tried and failed to get the same bill passed with a different language.
- May 2018 – PASPA is struck down by the Supreme Court allowing states to decide for themselves on sports betting.
- December 2018 – Governor of Michigan vetoes bill to legalize sports betting.
- 2019 – A bill to legalize sports betting is expected to be approved in the state of Michigan.